Coronavirus briefing: Cases soaring in IndiaThe epidemic
- In Europe, the number of cases has continued declining.
- In the US and Brazil, the amount of cases has moved slightly downwards.
- The surge in coronavirus cases in India continues, overwhelming the country’s healthcare system. The Covid-19 variant that has helped to drive the explosion in infections in India has also been detected in Europe.
- The decline in cases in Sweden seems to be real, while there is a small decline also in the number of people in hospitals and intensive care.
- Elsewhere in the Nordics, cases and hospitalisations have declined in Norway and Finland, while the sideways development continues in Denmark.
- In the Baltics, the decline in cases continues in Estonia, while the situation remains stable in Lithuania and Latvia.
Policy and vaccines
- Different governments are trying to help India to cope with a growing Covid-19 crisis.
- The number of Covid-19 jabs administered globally surpassed 1 billion on Saturday.
- The European Commission said it expected to seal the world’s biggest vaccine supply deal within days, buying up to 1.8bn doses of Pfizer’s Covid vaccine for the next few years.
- According to the EMA, the benefits of the AstraZeneca vaccine outweigh the risks in all adults of all age groups. The EMA also recommends continuing giving a second dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine to those who have received the first one.
- In Sweden and Finland, people aged under 65 who have gotten their first dose of AstraZeneca will get a second dose of an mRNA vaccine. In Norway , all those who have received the first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine, are offered an mRNA vaccine as their second dose.
- The Italian government has announced a EUR 222 billion package to boost businesses and help young people and women who have been hit the hardest during the pandemic.
- No changes in policy for the ECB, which only reconfirmed its current stance and its significantly larger PEPP purchases, read more here.
Swedbank AB (publ)
Phone: +358 400 98 21 59