Coronavirus briefing: Cases in India continue to surgeThe epidemic
Policy and vaccines
- Globally, cases continue to climb, driven by the surge in India. The total tally in India, is now highest in the world.
- In the EU, daily cases point slightly up again, after a decline during the Easter.
- In the UK, cases continue to decline, but the space of the decline has slowed down.
- In the US and Brazil, cases continue to move sideways.
- After a previous decline, daily cases point slightly up in Sweden and Norway. Cases in Denmark have moved sideways, while the slow decline in cases continues in Finland.
- The number of people in hospitals and intensive are still rising in Sweden.
- In the Baltics, cases have continued to decline in Estonia, but are rising now in Lithuania and Latvia.
- India is facing the prospect of renewed lockdowns in some of its major cities.
- Greece’s cabinet will meet this week to discuss lifting travel curbs.
- In Sweden, restrictions on shops and restaurants were extended until 2 May.
- Brazilian researchers have published data from their phase 3 trials of the Chinese-made CoronaVac vaccine. The data shows an overall efficacy rate of 50.7%.
- China's top disease control official has said the efficacy of the country's Covid vaccines is low. China is considering the use of mRNA vaccines after all.
Swedbank AB (publ)
Phone: +358 400 98 21 59